The CrossFit Open has officially begun! We wish all of our registered the very best and good luck throughout the 5 weeks of the Open. Even if you haven’t registered for the Open, you can have a go at the workouts and check your results against the rest of the world. Visit https://games.crossfit.com/workouts/open/2018
Our athletes can simply view their ranking by searching CrossFit Monash on the CrossFit Open page.
During this time we want to make sure all of our athletes are fuelling their body efficiently while completing regular strenuous workouts. “The Journal” accessible via crossfit.com is great for resources and recipes to promote athlete recovery. Below is an example sourced from The Journal:
by Nick Massie
Ingredients (makes 15 portions):
▪ 5kg marinated chicken (see marinade recipe below)
▪ 800g bunches of asparagus, woody bottoms removed, cut into 1-in. sections
▪ 2 yellow onions, julienned
▪ 2 red bell peppers, julienned
▪ 2 bunches of scallions, hairy bottoms removed, cut into 2-in. sections
▪ 1 whole pineapple, core removed, cut into tidbits
▪ 1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
▪ 1/4 c. fresh ginger, minced
▪ 1/4 c. fresh garlic, minced
▪ olive oil, as needed
▪ kosher salt, to taste
▪ black pepper, to taste
▪ Sriracha, to garnish (optional; to your liking)
▪ 22 ½ c. cooked white rice (optional)
1. Place marinated chicken on a foil-lined sheet pan and roast at 200 degrees until the thickest part of the breast reaches 80 degrees. Remove from oven.
2. While the chicken is roasting, heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
3. Add the garlic and ginger and stir until garlic begins to toast, then add the asparagus, onions and a pinch of salt. Stir to coat uniformly. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the pineapple and scallions and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Cut the heat, add the cilantro, stir to distribute evenly and season with kosher salt and black pepper to your liking.
7. When the chicken is done, julienne it and add to the pan of vegetables. Fold all ingredients together until uniform.
8. Portion rice into meal-prep containers. We used 1 ½ c. per container, resulting in 15 total portions.
9. Portion pineapple chicken into containers of rice and garnish with a squirt of Sriracha.
10. Refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
To Marinate Chicken:
▪ 1.5kg. boneless, skinless chicken breast
▪ 800g. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
▪ 2 c. pineapple juice
▪ ¼ c. tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
▪ ¼ c. fresh ginger, minced
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl or gallon-size Ziploc bag and marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or up to 2 days.